Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How Alcohol Affects Relationships


I have seen this way too many times in my past. Recently, it's been dawning on me that relationships do not deserve foul play and misconducted words. Especially when they could potentially become bigger than you imagine.

This post could not be written without personal interlude, so here I go.
I am weary when it comes to relationships and initial meeting. I like to drink. I like to party. 50% of people I meet are at parties/bars/clubs/bonfires/on the beach day drinking. At current times, I feel like majority of the world abuses alcohol. And that's an understatement when you realize HOW much alcohol (we) consume. Parties are the norm, as are including drinks, weekly happy hours, and daily beers/wine. HEY, I LOVE alcohol and I'm not here to judge but let's just say that we're all alcoholics here and I'll state the problem: It blurs our perception.

2 of the past relationships I've been in consisted of hooking up drunk one night and getting to know each other after. It was fun, but very condescending. I guess it's because the initial attraction got the best of us. These two stories are similar because they both started the same. Guy 1 and I lasted a good year, but eventually broke it off because we were too distant. I figure the alcohol had a lot to do with it anyways because we were partying like it was 2009. It was. If you turn that upside down, that's 6,002 which is probably how many gallons of jack daniel's we tanked while in dating mode. Dating mode was more like 'party with my boyfriend' mode because while we were together, it was still a rager. I like(d) being reckless at this time, so I didn't really give a f*** what happened. End.

Guy 2 is still bothering me to this day. Although it had been a while since I dated, I came across him at an odd time. We were like best friends in a party house full of crazy people. Our time sure was chaotically unforgettable...until we woke up with blurred memories. We had an eye for each other. The thing is, we were always partying together and saw each other in the daylight probably 10% of the time we knew each other. One day I gave him a ride in my truck. It was silent. Not to mention, when I did hang out with him, I would notice these butterflies going off, completely healthy, but I didn't know how to respond to them. I got (still get) nervous around him and there's only one reason for that: We're always drunk together. How are you supposed to get to know someone when you're always slizzered? How are you even supposed to know that person likes you if every time they see you, you're buzzed? And on top of that, how are you even supposed to HAVE feelings for someone when your mind is put on the shelf? SIGHHHH it's a complicated process. Yet so simple when you look at it from a MADD perspective. Now I realize that we only get along when we're drunk. That's horrible! We considered dating in 'real life' yet things failed to unfold. We told each other some serious things under the influence. I went on thinking we were right for a long, long time and finally came to my senses after I drunk dialed him one last time. RIP strange but lovely relationship.

Yes I like to reminisce. Even when things are shiesy, cuz we'll all have them at some point in our lives. *REMEMBER, stranger, or one I know, When things get tough, don't sweat the small stuff. There's always tomorrow, things aren't as bad as they seem when you look back at them down the road and in order to have a high life, we must have some downs too...but we can make the best of any situation, like creating a blog to share our stories* (lol I just pity-partied myself). Anyway, alcohol will get the best of us. By best, I mean our feelings. This was one of the best things that has ever happened to me, up and down and up and down. I still think about Guy 2 alllllllll the freaking time and to contemplate isn't bad. It's changing my perspective on how I view people under the influence. Alcohol is an inducer. It will induce anything 50% more than you would actually feel it, besides any physical actions of course. (How many times have you fell on the sidewalk and not felt a thing until morning time when your hip is hurting like a mf-er). Alcohol will f*** with you emotionally, which is why it is so very wise to stray away from emotional drinking. So the next time you meet someone of interest, give them some water and a breathalizer test. Or just take them out to lunch.

Relationships are vital things in a modern day chock full of money, finances, stress, aliens, and a fight to the top. We're all we really need for each other, and what these songs say are true. All you need is love. So don't blame it on the al-al-al-al-co-hol when things are looking crumbly because U are in control of everything. If the relationship is important to you, skip blurring yourself up with the booze. Spend time with someone who makes you happy and work towards a relationship you can invest in.


2 comments:

  1. I love this post. Very insightful, very personal, and very thought-provoking! I totally agree with you on the alcohol-relationship fiasco. Almost every given relationship that started/will start with alcohol will eventually lead to a "fizzling-out" or "nothingness" (you might think about that person from time to time but may figure out that you never actually knew them for real). I've often thought about this alcohol predicament, and it's lead me to motivate myself to try to meet new people and cultivate relationships completely sober. Alcohol is good and fun and all in moderation and of course it makes it so much easier to make friends and find things to talk about (from a shy person's *points at self* perspective), but if you're searching for something real and tangible in the relationship department, a clear and focused mind is the way to go. Sweating nervousness may ensue, but that's all part of the emotional process, right? Who said, "knowledge can only be acquired through experience"? I totally agree with that. If I hadn't had so many blackout drunk nights and made a total fool of myself, I would never have discovered my own limit or learned things about myself (I don't have to consume (a certain amount of) alcohol in order for people to like/respect me, etc.). I am going to henceforth think like a MADD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are GOOD feedback. That's what I missed on the post, 'you might think about the person from time to time when in fact you never really knew them at all'. Come to think of it, we knew each others' alter egos like the back of our cracks but when it came to real life we couldn't follow each others' jokes and such...what a shame because it was almost perfect. Whoever said 'Nahledge can only be acquired through experience' was right on que.

    ReplyDelete